Thursday, May 19, 2005

Now I have seen everything

Okay

I have been making a few observations over the past couple of days and holy fuck are there some weird and beautiful people in this world who probably have no idea how weird or wonderful they are.
The first was this young gay man who I saw on last thursday night when I was making my way to the subway. There was this group of gay youths jogging past me as part of some sort of queer support group and at the very end was a straggler who epitomized the gay stereotype. He was wearing a funky little outfit, was barely jogging, and attempting to call someone on his cell phone while telling everyone else to "wait the fuck up!" The rest of the group was losing him and sweating profusely but this "lag behinder" seemed to be way more concerned with maintaing his hair and not becoming flushed then actually engaging in the activities of the group. ALl I could think was that he had joined in order to impress someone and was now seriously changing his mind.

The next person was this middle age man on the subway. He got on one stop after me and when he walked on it was like the temperature dropped. He was so sour looking and he was giving everyone nasty looks. Don't know why, but he was. He sat alone (cause no one would sit near him) and just looked miserable. I felt so sorry for him, I wanted to ask him what was wrong but at the same time was incredibly intimidated by him. After a few stops this very attractive young woman (with very stylish shoes I must say) got on and she sat down across from him. She was doing something on her palm pilot and did not really look at where she was sitting. The man noticed her and he immediatly softened. And instantly he became a very attractive man, even I was all like "Damn! You hot when you don't look so sour" and he kept attempting to get the womans attention but to no avail she was all busy with her life and stuff. When she got off he returned to his original state. It was both one of the most beautiful and sad things I have ever seen.

At Yorkdale mall when I got off the subway the first thing I saw was this group of asian women together. Three of them and they were behaving like foxy black mamas. It was hilarious. I mean they were talking the ghetto talk and trying to be all "black womanesque" which I think is hilarious. First of all I always think it is funny when a minority attempts to appropriate the behaviour of another minority. I am proud of the asian girls for not adhering to the typical "we like math and our super smart and kind of dippy" asian girl thing. But at the same time I had to question why they would choose to behave like foxy black mamas. They made me think of gay men when they do that kind of thing (and yes I am aware that I impersonate foxy black mamas all the time - no that irony is not lost on me at all) and behave like a strong black woman. Oh so weird, but hilarious.

On Sunday night when I was walking home from the grocery store I saw this man listening to his walkman and dancing like he was not in the street but in a broadway show of some sort. Kind of a combo between "Cats", "The Pirates of Penzance" and "Hedwig and the Angry Inch". It was wonderful to see him being so free, and it really pissed me off when others on the street looked at him like he was crazy. Maybe he was, so what? I don't understand how his dancing was hurting anyone, but people were judging him for not adhering to the street walking norms. Drives me nuts.

and that is it. I have seen some marvelous things in my life, but these ones absolutely stick out in my head.

4 Comments:

At Thursday, 19 May, 2005, Blogger Snooze said...

What marvellous anecdotes! The subway one made me very sad.

 
At Thursday, 19 May, 2005, Blogger emily said...

Great anecdotes, indeed! I would love to see someone doing dancing-from-a musical on the sidewalk. That would make me very happy.

 
At Thursday, 19 May, 2005, Blogger St. Dickeybird said...

Those people are examples of why I love living in a city and walking everywhere I go.

 
At Wednesday, 08 June, 2005, Blogger epicurist said...

I like how you actually stop to observe these things. Very cool observations!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home