Friday, January 28, 2005

Isn't that cold?

First let me say that I already have a beef against people who ride bikes. It really annoys me that some of those who do behave in a fashion that makes them neither pedestrian nor vehicle but some sort of weird transformer typesque thing that gives them complete freedom to do whatever they want.
According to Canadian law a bicycle is a vehicle and is suppose to behave like one, you know turn signals and all of that stuff. So why do some many people who are on bikes use the sidewalk? This vendetta began many years ago when Em and I used to walk to work and on the Gordon hill we would get people trying to bike up on the sidewalk who would get all huffy because we were trying to walk up the hill. It really pissed me off. It is a sideWALK - meant for walking and not for biking. SO there is no reason to give me attitude as I am within the law and you are irritating me by being rude and breaking the law. I mean honestly, get off and walk the damn thing if you want to be on the sidewalk so badly.
Now I realise that a lot of people do this because they are afraid that they area going to get hit by a car, but I think that the odds of getting hit by a car on a bike are about the same as getting hit by a car whilst in a car -so suck it up princesses. You don't see people in cars who are afraid of traffic accidents driving on the sidewalk do you? (Well not in real life anyway)
But today is not really a complaint about bikers, but just a quandry. Why on earth do people bike in the middle of winter? I mean, isn't that cold? Doesn't it feel like your face is going to freeze off and that you are going to get frost bite? I mean I just don't get it.
I do get the whole environmental thing and that it is good excercise, but is getting pneumonia really worth it? It is so cold right now and I see people on bikes and all I can think is - WHY? It makes no sense to me. Maybe this is because my main forum of travel is walking or the subway, but come on now kids what is this all about?
So I guess if you want to bike in the winter you should do so. At least it keeps you bike people off the sidewalks since usually they are not as nicely plowed as the streets.

7 Comments:

At Friday, 28 January, 2005, Blogger emily said...

What I really hate is cyclists who complain about drivers not giving them the respect they deserve, and then that very same cyclist flies through a red light (or stop sign) without stopping, almost getting hit by the car that is legalling driving.

I have no sympathy for cyclists who are afraid of being hit by a car and then do shit like that. (And I'm sure it has nothing to do with my younger sibling, who is just as I described above.)

 
At Monday, 31 January, 2005, Blogger St. Dickeybird said...

I can't stand cyclists that use the sidewalk. I refuse to move for them, and if they get pissy, I just tell them to F**k off and get on the road where they're supposed to be.
As for the worry about them getting hit by a car, it's the cyclists choice to ride.
I won't ride a bike in the city because it's too dangerous, so I walk. If you don't want to walk, take the TTC.

 
At Monday, 31 January, 2005, Blogger No one asked us said...

I have also seen several people trying to rollerblade in this weather and with snow on the sidewalks. What the hell is wrong with you people? These are seasonal activities and this is not the season for them. Give it up!

 
At Monday, 31 January, 2005, Blogger emily said...

Rollerbladers, seriously? I think they may have been a bit deranged.

 
At Monday, 31 January, 2005, Blogger Snooze said...

I bought a bike last spring and sometimes rode it to work. It's so cute - very shiny and compact and it even folds up. Anyhow, cars are psychotic and in the financial district I did ride on part of the sidewalk. Between streetcars and SUVs I had nowhere to go. now, I didn't go quickly, the sidewalk was almost empty, and I got back on the road as soon as possible. If I have to get up on the sidewalk and it's crowded, I walk my bike. Same as I do if I go with pedestrians at a crosswalk. I'm happy that I bike, I do agree that bikes should behave as cars, but I also don't feel guilty about my lapses onto the sidewalk. I did however get in a screaming match with a guy who almost ran over an elderly woman on the sidewalk because he 'didn't want to bike on the street'. idiot.

But yes, I agree that except for bike couriers, bikes don't belong in winter.

 
At Tuesday, 01 February, 2005, Blogger emily said...

Snooze, you are the kind of cyclist that I like, and I wish there were more of you.

 
At Monday, 07 February, 2005, Blogger No one asked us said...

Since that day I have now seen a person on a unicycle trying to bike through all of that snow. I mean honestly! What is wrong with some of those people out there? Riding a unicycle in the middle of winter is like using your face to stop a tennis ball - not a very good idea.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home