Monday, January 24, 2005

Super duper conference

I did it.
Today I have officially become a librarian nerd. I have joined the Ontario Library Association. I am a student member. Whoo hooo.
I am only doing this so that I can attend the OLA super conference here in T.O. in two weeks time. I want to go because there is what I hope will be a really good lecture on children's librarianship (the area that I am most interested in)and that there will be lots of potential future employers who are there to head hunt and scout out new employees. I hate the fact that I have to do this to go schmooze and try to get a job and that I have to you know, look good, and smell nice and be on my best behaviour. I don't think that advise of being yourself is going to go down to well in this situation. I can not walk up to some library professional that I don't know who may be a future employer and start taking about fisting or S&M or how much food I ate that time I ate a lot of food (although all of this would be fun, I doubt that it will get me ajob any time soon).
So I will be attending this conference, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I hope that I will have a good time. I am totally reluctant about this whole OLA thing, but what can I do? Next I have to join the CLA and then maybe even the ALA - will it ever end? How much money do they think we librarians have?
Tsk tsk

4 Comments:

At Monday, 24 January, 2005, Blogger emily said...

Dude. Totally find the stodgiest librarian there, and talk about fisting. Heh.

How hilarious wuold it be if they continued a conversation about it with you?

 
At Monday, 24 January, 2005, Blogger mainja said...

i actually love going to conferences. i love finding other people who are passionate about the same things as me and who i can talk shop with unabashedly and not have to stop and explain stuff because i work in a kind of insular geeky field.

so, what i'm saying is, i bet you'll enjoy it.

 
At Tuesday, 25 January, 2005, Blogger Snooze said...

Emily/Mainja: Obviously you have not been to a librarian conference. It's a freak show. And not always in a good way. C., expect to be judged because you dress well and you have fun. There are some fab librarians out there, but you have to dig. But good for you for getting involved at student rates!

 
At Tuesday, 25 January, 2005, Blogger emily said...

Snooze: That's what I figured. I do know a few other cool librarians, though, so hopefully the stodgy librarian stereotype will eventually lose out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home