Wednesday, July 09, 2008

More whining about the library I work at (or: going to the library to check my email while drinking is very refreshing)

A disturbing trend has begun at my branch.
Patrons trying to drink alcohol while in the library.
Last night a gentleman was waiting for a computer and was enjoying a delicious smirnoff ice.
When I approached the man he immediatly informed me that it was not a cooling libation, but an italian soda.
I pointed out that the bottle clearly said Smirnoff Ice.
He said that he had poured the soda into the bottle for easier travel.

uh huh


I then asked to smell the bottle. He told me it was indeed an italian soda pop.

I asked to smell the bottle again. He told me it was italian soda.
I said if it was soda that I should be allowed to smell it.
He got irate and said that he would go outside to finish the drink. He then chugged the bottle as he made a 360 toward the front doors and then to a free computer. I guess he can multi-task with his "italian soda"

Then this morning a patron was sitting at the same chair waiting for a computer enjoying a nice foreign beer.
Yes indeed. A nice cooling satisfying beer at 9:30 in the morning.
When I informed him he could not drink beer in the library he said that it was not beer. I wondered what kind of italian soda he had.
I asked him what it was.
He told me it was just a soda.
I asked to smell it.
He got irate.
I told him to leave.
He said he wanted to check his email first.
I told him to go outside and finish his "soda" and then he can check his email.

I don't understand why all these people want to drink at the library. It's not like they work here. I mean if it was a co-worker I could turn a blind eye, but a patron. I am legally bound to tell them to stop enjoying themselves.

2 Comments:

At Saturday, 19 July, 2008, Blogger von said...

Hmm... how would you feel about a fellow MLIS student routinely getting sloshed before Perspectives in Library Science (hey, an evening class!), and then feeling compelled to answer lots of questions?

 
At Saturday, 09 August, 2008, Blogger AlanChinWriter said...

funny post.

I was surfing and came across your site. I'm a gay writer living in the San Francisco Bay Area. We have a few thinks in common: writing and a few favorite books: Dream Boy and Mysterious Skin.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home