Saturday, February 24, 2007

Sunshine in my eyes, every fucking day!

I was gonna past in January what I thought were the best albums of last year.
So I will do it now.
1. Some Girls: Crushing love.
Now I am fully aware that I am biased because of my love of Juliana, but when I looked at the songs I played the most in the past year this album beat out Juliana's solo album. And this album came out in September. I can not help but love it. Juliana sings and writes, but it is not lured down into the sort of self deprecating mire that she is susceptible to. This album bounces along with a freshness that is akin to just cut grass. The lyrics are clever and it is nice to see another female trio that are not trying to sound like the new Sleater Kinney.

2. Data Panik: Brighter Than Sunshine
Unfortuantly this album is only 5 songs long and they broke up after releasing it. Still it is a significant acheivement for the band formally known as Bis. or Bis with a rythm section. Too bad we will not see more from this band, Manda has gone solo.

3. The Cardigans: Super Extra Gravity
Much like the Eurythmics The Cardigans are a band of change. Each album they sound different and they move into a new realm of music. From the sweet 60's pop of Life to the dark atmospheric music of GranTurismo to the mature Rock sound of Long Gone Before Daylight - this album is another stepping stone in their career. A bit of everything is in this record and I found it hard to attempt to classify the sound.

4. Skye: Mind How You Go
The songstress from Morcheeba set out on her own to make this very mature and spiritual album. Full of lush hooks and beats and her very smooth and soulfull voice. A great album to make love to or to paint your living room too.


5. Jarvis Cocker: The Jarvis Cocker Album
The lead of Pulp also removed some restraints from his position as the leader of the band and set out a more political song agenda. With his usual sass and wit he makes fun of the world and political leaders.

6. Cat Power: The Greatest
Not her greatest hits but definitly a step in the right direction. From the bare sounds of You Are Free Chan Marshall explores a much fuller and jazz laden sound with this album. Her beautiful voice carries strongly and emphasizes every word she says, from the upbeat "Could We" to the religious questioning "Living Proof" she once again provokes and entertains.


And the rest of the music I liked escapes me right now.

2 Comments:

At Thursday, 01 March, 2007, Blogger emily said...

You didn't tell me Data Panik broke up!

 
At Tuesday, 06 March, 2007, Blogger No one asked us said...

Hey Em

. . .

Data Panik broke up.


Sorry.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home