Sunday, January 07, 2007

That still hurts - no pain no brain and a bigger butt.

I have taken up weight training again.
And having consulted a couple of books on it this time around I feel confident that I can do it to maximise the benefits of the sport.
I don't really know if it is a sport, but it seems so many indiciduals at the gym take it as being a competition. They want to put more weights on their machine than anyone else. They want to be the girl with the most cake. But usually they are men and it is iron, I would prefer the cake really.
So there I am doing way less weights than I am used to (keep in mind it has been 4 months) but doing the reps slow and consistent to ensure even and healthy muscle growth. I was ignoring the fact that I felt that everyone was judging me thinking I was weak. So I went about the chest and arm weights that I wanted to do and then went home.
The next morning I was in so much pain.
How can that much pain exist from doing something that is considered healthy?
No wonder so many people make a new years resolution of losing weight or becoming more active and then give up. They are simply unable to pull their sore asses out of bed. My whoel torso ached as I started to run around the track. It hurt to the point that it made me laugh in that weird, this is painful but kind of funny way. You know what I mean - like when you smack your elbow and it hurts but for some reason you laugh.
And a week later I still hurt.
I feel that this is progress since at least I am keeping up with the weight training.
But fuck - it hurts!

5 Comments:

At Sunday, 07 January, 2007, Blogger Snooze said...

I have to haul my ass to the gym.

PS I love the line from Doll Parts. That song always makes me feel connected to you.

 
At Monday, 08 January, 2007, Blogger St. Dickeybird said...

That pain is why I don't work out. It just doesn't seem right.

 
At Monday, 08 January, 2007, Blogger graymama said...

Can't your new someone massage your pain away? :-)

 
At Tuesday, 09 January, 2007, Blogger Jean-Louis said...

Sometimes the pain means that it is actually working and the muscles have to regenerate.
Unless it hurts like cccrraazzy. Then you should do less.
That's the toughest part, figuring the exact right weight to max out on the tenth rep of the third set on those machines.
-w

 
At Tuesday, 09 January, 2007, Blogger Timmy said...

good for you for not giving up! work out some for me, will ya?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home