Thursday, November 17, 2005

The search for signs of intelligent life in the universe

Why is it that kids always say the smartest things that are totally ignored by all the adults in the room?
I have often wondered why that happens.
Kids tend to have a built in ability to see things simply, perhaps it is because they have less things to worry about. BUt I don't think that is it, kids tend to be just as intelligent as adults (without all the added extras that a pedagogical education can give you) but there also tends to be a simplicity to their thinking. I admire that.
They get so much more out of their emotions since they are less restrained by social norms, and they have not been taught to not feel or to not let your emotions show. I love that about children. I do not like parents who think that their children are an extension of them who should represent them and therefore behave like little adults.
That is the stupidest thing that I have ever heard. I say this having had first hand experience of it. My parents very much believed that I was a direct reflection of them and they were always trying to control my actions and emotions. I think that this was an attempt to try to have control in their lives by limiting the amount of emotional energy that surrounded them.
So where does all this come from?
My job.
I have been learning a lot about the world from the kids that come into my library. I am beginning to adore them and well I found out today just how distinct my impression on them is becoming. I am now referred to as "librarian man" by most of the kids and several of the parents have told me that their children get very excited when it comes time to go to the library. One mother told me that her son wants to have a hair cut just like mine (how cute is that?)
Kids are great teachers, you just have to be willing to pay attention to them. So it is amazing that I am making such an impact on them, but the best part is the impact they are making on me.

3 Comments:

At Thursday, 17 November, 2005, Blogger mainja said...

that is lovely. i'm so very happy for you that you have finally landed where you belong in a job, somewhere that people truly appreciate the wonder that is you.

 
At Friday, 18 November, 2005, Blogger St. Dickeybird said...

I think kids are more honest in what they say, because they haven't learned what is "appropriate" or gotten jaded yet.

That's why we should always listen to children.
Like when my ex's daughter told me "uncle bill stays over almost every night! he shares mommy's room."
Yeah, thanks Kid. Mommy's a slut. lol

 
At Friday, 18 November, 2005, Blogger emily said...

It is so amazing to see you so happy with your job! I am so very happy for you.

Also, I totally wish I had your job.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home