Wednesday, February 15, 2006

All hands on the bad one

So it looks like the library may go on strike due to Bill 506.
I have no idea how this affects me.
I am currently on contract and am applying for permanent positions, so I don't know if I have to walk out or if I go on strike or what the deal is with all of this.
I am waiting to hear.
I have to say this makes me nervous. I mean, none of us get paid if we go on strike but I don't know if it effects my contract time or what it does to me. I do pay into the union as a contract member so I guess that means I am protected but at the same time I did not get the automated phone mail messages about the strike nor did I get an email.
This all makes me nervous.
It especially makes me nervous since if I strike it could look bad since I am not a permanent, or it could show that I support the system and am full of solidarity.
Any ways this all sucks.

4 Comments:

At Wednesday, 15 February, 2006, Blogger St. Dickeybird said...

A friend of mine was on contract with The City when CUPE went on strike last.
He paid into the union, but got no strike pay. His job was secure, he was forced to picket, and it had no effect on his contract time.

Good luck dear!

 
At Wednesday, 15 February, 2006, Blogger Snooze said...

Walk the picket line. Unions never forget all the strike moments. Why the hell are they striking?

 
At Thursday, 16 February, 2006, Blogger epicurist said...

Maybe you could speak with your boss or local Union member to get an idea about what is all involved?

 
At Thursday, 16 February, 2006, Blogger mainja said...

having gone through a strike early in my career here is my advice. first, contact the union and find out what's involved in getting strike pay and yada yada. second, if the union goes out, go out. it doesn't mean you have to walk the picket (unless you need the strike pay) but don't cross the line. union people have LOOOONNNGGGG memories. managers understand. you're way better off not crossing in terms of longtime career prospects.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home