Wednesday, June 07, 2006

I am not happy about that

My sister came out to our parents this weekend.
Way to go sis!
I am very proud of her for taking this very brave step in her life.
However, our parents gave her almost the same indifferent reaction that they gave to me when I told them 6 years ago.
Our mother said that it could have given her a heart attack - nice guilt trip Mom.
And our Dad only said "I am not very happy about this" well at least he tried to express himself.
I do think that it is depressing that their reaction is so dissatisfactory, if they got angry and yelled then at least the tension would be lifted. If the asked questions and tried to comprehend then at least we could try to explain. But with their reacion and then their immediate desire for escape, there is no comprehension and it just leaves us isolated.
I am trying to end this cycle by not expecting anything from them, but it is hard to change my thinking patterns.
I am very proud of my sister and at least I was able to help her through this whereas when I was the pioneer it was terrifying. When I told our Dad he was holding a pitch fork. And when I told our mother all she did was buy me a pair of leather pants in order to buy me out.
People who lives in glass houses should change in the basement.
People who have no social skills should not have children.

4 Comments:

At Wednesday, 07 June, 2006, Blogger emily said...

Yay for your sister! That must have taken a ton of guts.

 
At Wednesday, 07 June, 2006, Blogger mainja said...

Yay for C! I am very very proud of her. So good.

Yay yay yay!

 
At Thursday, 08 June, 2006, Blogger Heather said...

Well, I'm glad your parents had kids or you wouldn't be here, but I know what you mean.

Proud of you and your sister though. That took lots of courage.

 
At Saturday, 10 June, 2006, Blogger Heather Warren said...

Rock on Cindy! Soooo proud of you! Now she can start expressing her love out loud!

As for your parents, living a life of apathy and lovelessness is true punishment. They need to learn how to communicate, but living in isolation is never a good place to start.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home